The surface is too hard
Sand shape and gradation contributes to hardness because particles nest together tightly. Heavy rain, snow, and drainage can also make your arena compacted and hard.
Too deep or too soft
Rounded sand particles roll under the hoof, especially when they’re all the same size. Textiles also lose their effectiveness over time and may need to be refreshed.
Too much dust
Sand breaks down over time turning into airborne particles, AKA dust. Non-silica sands break down much faster than silica sands.
• Airborne particles
• Uneven base
• Slippery when wet
• Hard and dusty when dry
• Add new clean sand with a specific particle size and gradation
• Add textiles to bind the additional fines or dust particles
• Increase water retention with ArenaAid, HydroKeep or SlowDust
• Deep grooming to remix all sand particles and footing materials
Building or improving an arena surface doesn’t have to break your budget.
Premier Equestrian is the Exclusive Footing Products Supplier for the International Arena at WEF
Winter Equestrian Festival
The Palm Beach International Equestrian Center’s International Arena was upgraded with OTTO Sport Base Mats and Premier ProTex footing product.
OTTO Sport Base Mats & Premier ProTex Footing Product
OTTO Sport Base Mats protect your horse’s joints from debilitating, concussive damage from hard arena surfaces, and minimize tendon damage due to instability and slippage. Available exclusively at Premier Equestrian.
- Designed specifically for horse arenas and paddocks
- Aid water conservation
- Stability for both the horse and rider
- Absorb up to 40% of the energy caused by the foot fall
- Immediate drainage
OTTO Sport Base Mat Features:
1. Locking Rings on the underside lock mats into the surface due to their conic shape, preventing shifting and stones can’t travel up into the footing.
2. Drainage Holes (252/mat) removes up to 8 inches/hour, making the arena useable immediately after heavy rain. Horses will never have to stand in puddles or mud in paddocks.
3. Reservoirs hold up to 1 gallon of water per mat and release it back into the footing to maintain even hydration.
4. Traction Knobs of varied heights provide stability, while allowing some hoof movement.
Premier ProTex Footing Product
Premier ProTex Arena Footing Product is designed for high performance in high-use areas. The ProTex textiles and fibers were combined with carefully chosen silica sands.
The carefully chosen sands combined with ProTex, created a surface unlike any other, possessing all the characteristics the FEI is looking for, including maximum drainage, with increased stability, shear support, and rebound. ProTex textiles and fibers provides a “rooting” function by reducing shear force and promoting shock absorption.